I can’t pay settlement or closing fee - how to avoid it?


Cash restricted borrowers should ask for seller's settlement or closing fee contribution. Also, there is a variety of mortgage loan programs that offer down payment and closing costs assistance to homeowners.

Seller's assistance with settlement and closing fees is acceptable with many lending programs. You should search your state's down payment and settlement assistance programs. Every state will have one and chances are good you will qualify if your income is moderate to low.

HUD approved homebuyer down payment and settlement fees assistance authorities in California are the California Housing Finance Authority (CalHFA), State of California Housing and Community Development, etc.

There are also a lot of private down payment and closing costs assistance programs. Just run a specific online search for your area and you will immediately find one. AmeriDream, Nehemiah, HART and Partners in Charity are only some of the FHA approved down payment and settlement costs assistance programs, available to moderate income households.

Mortgage rates hit their lowest since 1955. Ask the home loan experts we recommend Quicken Loans how to take advantage of them.
Was this Mortgage QnA helpful?
Not at all
  • Currently 2.9/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Add to this Answer

Mortgage QnA is not a common forum. We have special rules:

  • Post no questions here. To ask a question, click the Ask a Question link
  • We will not publish answers that include any form of advertising
  • Add your answer only if it will contrubute to the quality of this Mortgage QnA and help future readers
If you have trouble reading the code, click on the code itself to generate a new random code. Verification Code Above:
Bookmark and share this QnA: