What types of real estate mortgage lenders exist?


What kind of a real estate mortgage lender do you talk to when you need a home loan?

  • Mortgage brokers (MBs) serve as the middleman between the borrower and the lender. Mortgage broker businesses (MBBs) originate loans with the intention of selling them to wholesale lenders.
  • Mortgage bankers are able to originate a loan and keep it in their portfolio - they create a pool of loans and sell those to Fannie Mae, Ginnie Mae, Freddie Mac and private investors. Some brokers operate as correspondent lenders and are also referred to as mortgage bankers. A mortgage banker may be related to a bank, or may not.
  • Wholesale lenders are lenders who may or may not have a retail division. Rather, they rely on mortgage brokers for loan origination. Mortgage bankers and portfolio lenders act as wholesale lenders.

You are probably going to a mortgage broker when you need a loan; or, you could try the retail division of a large broker or lender, or bank.

Wholesale lenders don't work directly with consumers so you will have to pass through a mortgage broker. You could try using the services of an Upfront Mortgage Broker (UMB). They would work with you for a fixed charge and will pass wholesale rates to you.

Mortgage rates hit their lowest since 1955. Ask the home loan experts we recommend Quicken Loans how to take advantage of them.
Was this Mortgage QnA helpful?
Not at all
  • Currently 3/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Add to this Answer

Mortgage QnA is not a common forum. We have special rules:

  • Post no questions here. To ask a question, click the Ask a Question link
  • We will not publish answers that include any form of advertising
  • Add your answer only if it will contrubute to the quality of this Mortgage QnA and help future readers
If you have trouble reading the code, click on the code itself to generate a new random code. Verification Code Above:
Bookmark and share this QnA: