How to apply for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher?


Here is how to apply for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.

  1. Locate your local Public Housing Authority (PHA) and subscribe to the waiting list. Applying for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher may take a lot of time. Sign-up waiting lists for Section 8 may very well be full and closed. However, if they are not, you will obtain your Section 8 Voucher and proceed.
  2. If you have successfully applied for and obtained a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, you have to find yourself an apartment to rent. Several requirements apply to Section 8 Properties:
    • The landlord must be willing to accept Section 8 Voucher. They usually do because Section 8 tenants are likely to perform better than the average tenant.
    • The landlord must agree that the property be inspected against safety and hygiene HUD requirements.
    • You may choose to rent an apartment that has higher rent your Section 8 voucher covers, and pay for the difference.
  3. With a successful application for a Section 8 Voucher in one state you could go and rent in another state, if you have a tenant-based Section 8 Voucher. If you have a project-based Section 8 Voucher, once you move, the next tenant will use the voucher.
  4. A first-time homebuyer with very low income can be allowed to apply for a Section 8 Voucher to use against their mortgage payment.
Mortgage rates hit their lowest since 1955. Ask the home loan experts we recommend Quicken Loans how to take advantage of them.
Was this Mortgage QnA helpful?
Not at all
  • Currently 2.9/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Add to this Answer

Mortgage QnA is not a common forum. We have special rules:

  • Post no questions here. To ask a question, click the Ask a Question link
  • We will not publish answers that include any form of advertising
  • Add your answer only if it will contrubute to the quality of this Mortgage QnA and help future readers
If you have trouble reading the code, click on the code itself to generate a new random code. Verification Code Above:
Bookmark and share this QnA: