How can I get an FHA / HUD reverse mortgage?


The FHA / HUD reverse mortgage is called a HECM - Home Equity Conversion Mortgage. With HECM FHA/HUD program seniors over 62 are able to generate income streams based on the equity of their homes.

In order to get an FHA/HUD reverse mortgage (HECM), you will have to be a homeowner and occupy your home and you are obligated to attend a HECM information session.

The amount to receive with an FHA/HUD reverse mortgage depends on your age or on the age of the youngest co-borrower, and will be less than the original home value, usually not over 80% of your equity, if you are over 85, and not more than 60% if you are 65.

Credit and income requirements are waived, closing costs may be included in the loan and repayment is not due while any of the co-borrowers remains living in the house.

If you have a small outstanding mortgage balance, it can be accommodated with the FHA/HUD reverse mortgage HECM.

Mortgage rates hit their lowest since 1955. Ask the home loan experts we recommend Quicken Loans how to take advantage of them.
Was this Mortgage QnA helpful?
Not at all
  • Currently 2.9/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Add to this Answer

Mortgage QnA is not a common forum. We have special rules:

  • Post no questions here. To ask a question, click the Ask a Question link
  • We will not publish answers that include any form of advertising
  • Add your answer only if it will contrubute to the quality of this Mortgage QnA and help future readers
If you have trouble reading the code, click on the code itself to generate a new random code. Verification Code Above:
Bookmark and share this QnA: